What is vLab?
vLab, or Virtual Lab, is the name for The University of Georgia's virtual desktop environment (VDI), which allows students, faculty, and staff to access computer lab resources and applications from work and personal devices anywhere, at any time.
Compatible devices can access a full desktop, complete with such applications as Microsoft Office suite, MATLAB, EndNote, and SPSS.
Sessions can be transferred from one device to another simply by opening vLab elsewhere.
Who Can Use vLab?
Anyone with a valid MyID can access the vLab.
How Do I Access vLab?
The vLab is available via two methods:
- Any device
- Select computer labs on campus, such as the Miller Learning Center.
The vLab service is available at http://vlab.uga.edu.
You can access vLab directly through your web browser at if:
- You are accessing vLab on a desktop computer
- You wish to save your files to a cloud service, such as OneDrive or use wepa to print
You should install and use Citrix Workspace if:
- You are accessing vLab on a mobile device
- You wish to save your files to a local drive or print to a local or network printer
What Software is Available on the vLab?
For the most current list of software available to use on the vLab, please visit the EITS website.
What Are the Supported Operating Systems?
The vLab service supports all of the following operating systems and mobile devices:
- Android 2.3+ (Workspace app)
- iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod with the Workspace app)
- Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 (32 and 64-bit)
- Windows 8, Windows 7, XP, Vista, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, or ThinPC
- Windows 8 RT (mobile)
- Windows 10
How Do I Access vLab with My Web Browser?
Point your web browser to http://vlab.uga.edu and log in with your UGA MyID and password.
How Do I Install Citrix Workspace?
Installing Citrix Workspace is recommended for accessing the vLab on a mobile device and for saving your files on your mobile device.
First, install Citrix Workspace.
To install Citrix, find your operating system and device below and follow the instructions for installation.
Installing Citrix certificate for Mac
Save the vlab-certChain.zip file and extract the contents (usually by double-clicking on the file)
2. Open Keychain Access Manager (you can search for this by using Spotlight Search, which looks like a magnifying glass). Navigate to File > Import Items.
Browse to the vLab certificates and open it.
3. If prompted, select System in the Keychain drop-down and click Add.
4. Enter the admin password to authorize the changes
How long is my session active after I disconnect without logging out?
Sessions will remain open with vLab if you disconnect rather than log out for 30 minutes. During this time period, you can reopen your session from any compatible device to continue working.
Can X program be installed for use in vLab?
EITS will periodically update vLab with new software for use; however, some software will be limited due to licensing, cost, and to ensure stability and speed of the service. Contact the EITS Help Desk to request a specific piece of software.
Why do I keep getting the error message "Citrix Workspace is not currently installed. Would you like to download it now?" even after I installed the Citrix Workspace?
This is most likely caused by the new update to Google Chrome. Specifically, the disabling of Java disables Chrome's ability to find the Citrix Workspace. To enable Java on chrome:
- Navigate to chrome://flags
- Enable NPAPI (should be the 10th item in the list)
- Click the 'Relauch Now' button at the bottom of the page
- Navigate to chrome://plugins and make sure Java(TM) is enabled
This should enable vlab to work properly.
How to access local drives from vLab
- From the first Vlab page (vlab.uga.edu), once you are logged in – click your name and in the drop-down menu select “Activate”.
- Vlab should prompt you to download a configuration file (ending in .cr). Download the file and find it in your “downloads” folder. Double-click the file and click “ADD” to add UGA as a safe vlab source.
- Start citrix by clicking the black Citrix Workspace icon (in Windows) or by searching for Citrix with the Spotlight feature (in Mac OS X)
- Log in to the Citrix Workspace
- From the left hand side “+” icon, add the Vlab Application. Once added, double click the Vlab Icon to log in.
- Once logged in, your local drives should be available.
How to Access your Computers Local Shares from Citrix Workspace
Click message indicating “Citrix Workspace has detected one or more devices connected to your computer. To connect your devices to your session click here” or click Preferences, File Access from the Citrix Workspace Desktop Toolbar.