- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
On March 31, EITS will delete inactive UGA listservs. A listserv is considered inactive if there has not been a posting in the past two years. Listserv owners will be notified if the listserv they maintain has been labeled inactive and scheduled for deletion. Listserv owners who wish to download archives of their listserv postings can find instructions for doing so here.
|More LISTSERV Documentation|
What is a LISTSERV?
A listserv is an email list management system. LISTSERV is the name of the product offered by the company L-soft.
Anyone can be a subscriber to a list, including people not associated with the University of Georgia. UGA Students, faculty, staff and recognized student organizations may request a list on the LISTSERV system.
LISTSERV offers email lists that are announcement-only and discussion groups that may be moderated or unmoderated.
LISTSERV allows list owners to manage their lists, including adding or removing subscribers, via the UGA LISTSERV website listserv.uga.edu or by email.
LISTSERV offers the following:
- Moderated lists
- Ability for users to self-subscribe or unsubscribe to lists
- Ability to include non-University of Georgia subscribers
- Online archives of messages posted to lists, if selected
- Ability for list owners to manage their lists
- Ability to share your list publicly, if selected
What are the complete features of LISTSERV?
L-soft outlines all of the available functionality of LISTSERV. The University is currently using version 16.0 of LISTSERV.
How are lists setup?
LISTSERV allows owners to create lists with restrictions on who may join their list, how subscribers may post messages and if messages may be archived to view.
- Public: Anyone can post to the list.
- Private: Only list subscribers can send messages to the list.
- Editor: Messages will be reviewed by a moderator to be approved or denied. This is also used for "Announce-only" lists.
- Public, Auto-responder: The list just responds with a set message.
How can I download archives of listserv postings?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email message should be “Index <<<listname>>>
You will receive an emailed reply from the listserver with a list of filenames and file types.
To get copies of each of these files, send an email to email@example.com. Put “get <<<filename.filetype>>>” in the message. Example: get CMB.LOG9908
Each of these files will be emailed to you separately.