This article goes over how to connect to the PAWS-Secure wireless network. This network is only available for UGA students, employees, and approved affiliates. If you have been provided a MyID, you are able to access this network.
Most wireless devices will be able to auto-detect the PAWS-Secure and "Welcome to UGA" wireless networks. It will display as PAWS-Secure in your list of available wireless networks.
In order to access PAWS-Secure, you will need a valid University of Georgia MyID and password. If you are a visitor to UGA and ineligible for a MyID, please contact the EITS Help Desk to request access to the Welcome to UGA guest wireless network.
The articles listed below contain step-by-step guides on how to connect your device to the PAWS-Secure wireless network.
- Log into the machine
- Click on the WiFi icon in the bottom right of the screen
- Click "Network Settings"
- Click "manage Wi-Fi settings"
- Scroll all the way down
- Click on "PAWS-Secure"
- Click "forget"
- Now that you've forgotten the network you can do a manual configuration.
- Search for "network" and open the “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
- Click “Set up a new connection or network”.
- Double click “Manually connect to a wireless network”.
- Enter the following information:
- Network Name = PAWS-Secure
- Security Type = WPA2 Enterprise
- Encryption Type = AES
- Check “Start this connection automatically”
- Click next and then “Change connection settings”.
- After the PAWS-Secure Wireless Network Properties window opens, click on the Security tab.
- Ensure that the encryption type is set to AES.
- Ensure that the authentication method is Protected EAP (PEAP) and then click “Settings” next to the authentication method.
- After the Protected EAP Properties window opens ensure that “Verify the server’s identity by validating the certificate” is unchecked.
- Next to "Secured password," click configure.
- Uncheck the box next to "Automatically use my Windows logon name and password"
- Click OK.
- On the PAWS-Secure Wireless Network Properties window opened earlier, click “Advanced Settings”.
- In the Advanced settings window that opens check the “Specify authentication mode” box and then select “User authentication”
- Next to the User authentication selection, click on “Save Credentials”. Enter your MyID and password into the window that pops up and click “OK”
- Check the "enable Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network" check box. Don't touch the other settings, they're fine however the default is.
- Click “OK” on the Advanced Settings window to close it.
- Click “OK” on the PAWS-Secure Wireless Network Properties window
- Click the “Close” button on the manually connect to a wireless network window.
- Close the Network and Sharing Center window.
- Click on the wireless icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and you should see the device try and connect to PAWS-Secure. If the connection is not successful, disable your wireless connection for five minutes and try again.
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Select the desired wireless network from the drop-down menu; this guide will focus on connecting to PAWS-Secure.
- When prompted, enter your MyID into the text field labeled "Username", and your MyID password into the text field labeled "Password."
- If your credentials are accurate, you should be connected to PAWS-Secure.
- Go to the main menu. Choose "Settings" menu, click "Wireless & networks".
- Choose "Wi-Fi settings"
- Very Important Note: If you have previously configured your device for "PAWS", click "PAWS" and then select "Forget this network"
- PAWS-Secure should be an available network. Tap on it.
- Next, it will ask you to configure the network. You will be using your UGA MyID. This is the same login information you enter for your UGA e-mail.
- Enter Your MyID username in the "identity" field.
- Scroll down, and enter your MyID password in the "password" field.
- Review the image below and ensure all configuration information is as indicated.
- Click "Connect". Your device is ready to connect to "PAWS-Secure".
- Get to the Home screen on your iPod Touch or iPhone. Find and tap on "Settings".
- Once in "Settings", look at the very top for "Wi-Fi" and tap on it.
- PAWS-Secure should be an available network. Tap on it.
- Next, it will ask you to enter your UGA MyID.
- After entering your UGA MyID, it will ask you to accept the security certificate (as shown below). You can view more details about the certificate if you would like by tapping "More Details". Click "Accept" to continue.
- After accepting the certificate, you should now be connected to PAWS-Secure.
- Tap on "Settings" on your Home screen and select "Wi-Fi" near the top.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on
- Very Important Note: If you have previously configured "PAWS" and are moving to "PAWS-Secure", first click on "PAWS" and click "Forget this network".
- Select "PAWS-Secure" by tapping on it.
- Enter your UGA MyID account username and password.
- Note: This is the same username and password you use to log into MyUGA.
- Shortly after entering your MyID and password, you will be prompted to verify the security certificate. For more details about the certificate, tap "More Details". Click the "Accept" button to add it to your local certificate store.
- You should now be connected to PAWS-Secure
There are numerous other devices which have support for WPA-2 Enterprise connections (the type of wireless standard PAWS-Secure uses), but often you have to manually enter the configuration information. If you have a device that is not listed above, you can try setting it up with the configuration information below:
- Authentication/EAP type: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
- Identity: your MyID username
- Password: your MyID password
You may also need to install a trust certificate for this network to work. We use the AddTrust External CA Root certificate.