New storage limits for Google Workspace for Education went into effect for all academic customers in March 2022. These limits were imposed to manage costs while continuing to offer Google Workspace services to the university community.
Under these limits, UGA students, employees and others will have access to 3GB of storage in Google Workspace.
*If you need more storage, you can find information about OneDrive here: What's the storage limit for OneDrive for Business?
The following are the maximum file sizes you can store in Google Drive:
- Up to 1.02 million characters.
- If you convert a text document to Google Docs format, it can be up to 50 MB.
- Up to 5 million cells or 18,278 columns (column ZZZ) for spreadsheets that are created in or converted to Google Sheets.
- Up to 5 million cells or 18,278 columns for spreadsheets imported from Microsoft Excel. The limits are the same for Excel and CSV imports.
- If any one cell has more than 50,000 characters, that single cell will not be uploaded.
- Up to 100 MB for presentations converted to Google Slides.
Supported file types
Any file type can be stored in Drive however these are the most common file types you can preview in Google Drive:
- Archive files (.ZIP, .RAR, tar, gzip)
- Audio formats (MP3, MPEG, WAV, .ogg, .opus)
- Image files (.JPEG, .PNG, .GIF, .BMP, .TIFF, .SVG)
- Markup/Code (.CSS, .HTML, .PHP, .C, .CPP, .H, .HPP, .JS, .java, .py)
- Text files (.TXT)
- Video files (WebM, .MPEG4, .3GPP, .MOV, .AVI, .MPEGPS, .WMV, .FLV, .ogg)
- Autodesk AutoCad (.DXF)
- Illustrator (.AI)
- Photoshop (.PSD)
- Portable Document Format (.PDF)
- PostScript (.EPS, .PS)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (.SVG)
- Tagged Image File Format (.TIFF) - best with RGB .TIFF images
- TrueType (.TTF)
- Excel (.XLS and .XLSX)
- PowerPoint (.PPT and .PPTX)
- Word (.DOC and .DOCX)
- XML Paper Specification (.XPS)
- Password-protected Microsoft Office files
- Editor files (.key, .numbers)