Microsoft’s Power BI is a collection of software services, apps, and connectors that work together to turn your unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights. Whether your data is a simple Excel spreadsheet, or a collection of cloud-based and on-premises hybrid data warehouses, Power BI lets you easily connect to your data sources, visualize what’s important, and share that with anyone or everyone you want.
It is free for UGA faculty and staff and can be accessed through your web-based UGAMail. The icon is located in the Office 365 menu in the left hand corner of your screen when you log in to your web-based UGAMail.
Features and functions of Power BI include:
- Ways to explore and monitor data.
- Import reports, workbooks and data, and create personalized dashboards
- Transform your data into visuals and interactive reports for you to collect and organize.
- Build robust models over your data using SQL Server Analysis Services
- Print and publish your reports
Please note that the use of Power BI should be consistent with UGA’s standard data handling protocols for the distribution and storage of sensitive data. Microsoft offers how-to videos on using Power BI, as well as troubleshooting documentation on its website.